How much can I have on me at once?

There are limits to how much marijuana you can purchase and possess at one time. You can only hold one ounce of marijuana flower (28 grams), 7 grams of extract for inhalation, 16 ounces of infused product in solid form, or 72 oz. in beverage form for both edibles and topicals.

What kind of ID do I need?

Identification MUST be valid (not expired) and show:

  • The bearer's date of birth,
  • The bearer's signature (except US Military ID – see below)
  • A photograph of Bearer

Types of Acceptable ID

  1. Driver’s License, Instruction Permit, or I.D. Card issued by any U.S. State, U.S. Territory and District of Columbia.
  2. Driver’s License, Instruction Permit, or I.D. Card issued by any Canadian Province
  3. Valid Washington State Temporary Driver’s License
  4. U.S. Armed Forces I.D. Card (Encrypted signature acceptable)
  5. Merchant Marine I.D. Card issued by the U.S. Coast Guard
  6. Official Passport
  7. Washington State Tribal Enrollment Card (No expiration date required)

Are the retail outlets run by the state?

Stores are licensed and regulated by the WSLCB but are private-sector businesses.

Can customers consume in a retail store?

No. On-premise consumption is not allowed.

Are non-Washington residents able to purchase marijuana?

Yes, but the marijuana products are to be consumed in Washington.

Can I still be drug tested now that marijuana is legal

The law does not address the topic of drug testing but it is our understanding that employers may still conduct drug testing at their discretion. Since marijuana is illegal under federal law institutions that receive federal funds will still be subject to mandated testing. Organizations such as the NFL and NBA have issued statements that marijuana consumption is a violation of their conduct policy and they intend to continue testing for it.

The initiative says I cannot consume marijuana in public. What is the definition of “in public?”

The law states that it is unlawful to open/consume a package of marijuana or marijuana infused product in view of the general public.

Can marijuana purchased legally in Washington be transported to other states?

No. Marijuana and marijuana products are to be consumed in Washington State.

Since marijuana is legal in Washington can the federal government still prosecute me?

Yes. Washington's system of legalized marijuana does not preempt federal law. Presently Washington State residents involved in marijuana production /retailing could still be subject to prosecution if the federal government chooses to do so.

Where can I find this information for myself?


"This product has intoxicating effects and may be habit forming. Marijuana can impair concentration, coordination, and judgment. Do not operate a vehicle or machinery under the influence of this drug. There may be health risks associated with consumption of this product. For use only by adults twenty-one and older. Keep out of the reach of children."